Monday, June 11, 2012

Cauliflower Mashed Potatos

This is what my dinner looked like tonight:

And let me tell you...it was AMAZING!

What you see is a 6oz steak seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning. Then there is about 1-2 cups of broccoli topped with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray". And last, those "mashed potatoes" aren't even potatoes at all. Did you know that cauliflower is an amazing substitute for things like rice and potatoes?

I didn't until recently, but I'm so excited that I found out.

Now, they didn't taste exactly like mashed potatoes. They weren't nearly as creamy, but for the health benefit, they were pretty dang good. Plus, most directions said to put them into food processor, which I don't have. Or do mix them with sour cream. I did neither, which may be why they weren't very creamy.

Even so, they were delicious and something I plan on having lots of in the future.

Here's how I cooked mine:

Cut desired amount of cauliflower into florets put in pot. Instead of boiling mine in water, I boiled them in chicken broth. Then I added some minced garlic. Let it boil until it is super soft (12-18 minutes). From here, most instructions say to put in food processor. I don't have one, so I just put the cooked cauliflower in a bowl, added the tiniest amount of skim milk, then mashed them with a wisk.

And that's it! Simple and very tasty.
And this entire meal (which was a ton of food) was less than 450 calories!


1 comment:

  1. I should give you some of my parent's diet tips... They are on a 0 carb 500 calorie diet (extreme, I know) but they do the cauliflower thing too! But they blend no-fat vanilla yogurt with it instead of sour cream... just an idea. If you are interested in more stuff, let me know.

    ReplyDelete